Me, Diana Raquel, your Mk Modern Day Nomad

Me, Diana Raquel, your Mk Modern Day Nomad

Friday, January 1, 2010

Packing

Today was the day I have so long tried to avoid. Packing day. Now this is not just packing up a suitcase to go to college. No. This is packing up my whole life and putting it all into plastic containers. With every object in my room I had to choose one of four choices: keep it for keepsakes, take a picture of it and give it away, leave it at the house, or take it with me to college. It gets a little draining after a while having to decide in which box to put the things that you are so used to seeing everyday I wake up in my room. Not having what you have always taken for granted for so long is hard. But, it has taught me a valuable lesson. My life is not wrapped up in things, yes they are memories, but they are not my life. My life is wherever my family and friends are. I am not going to have a home for a while, but a home is not wrapped up in physical objects. Home is wherever I make it. Now I do know that it is easier said than done. I do not profess to have everything under control, but I am working on it!

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya. Packing, moving and saying "bye" all the time absolutely stinks. And, that process of throwing keepsakes away is really hard, too.

    I had a bit of a fit the last few months, because I thought I'd lost the only think I had left from growing up as an MK. Fortunately Laura found it in a box we hadn't unpacked in 3 years. It was my Boa constrictor skin. I've carried that thing around with me for the last 28 years. And, I plan to keep it around for a lot longer than that, too. It's nice to have something to touch left over from my childhood years.

    ReplyDelete